Watch the July 2016 Comedy Short Screenplay Winner.
FIRE! by Steve Biggs
NARRATOR – Sean Kaufmann
CAPTAIN – Neil Bennett
PRISONER – Devin Upham
SOLDIER #1 – Robert Notman
Get to know the winning writer Steve Biggs:
1. What is your screenplay about?
A firing squad that gets interrupted by a 9-1-1 call.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It is fun, Fun, FUN!
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It took 24 hours. Up to the hour I submitted it. The idea and gags were instant, I did have to trim off 1/3 of a page.
6. How many stories have you written?
Probably no more than two dozen. (Do white lies count? ‘Cause I’ve created lots of those.)
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
The challenge of a one page script. How many jokes and gags could I put on one sheet of paper? Right now there are seven, but put into the hands of a skillful director and actors there could be many more.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Spell checking and getting it past my assistant.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
People. I love people and the human (mortal) experience. In worldly terms, I love my little business.
10. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Don’t play video games. Don’t take a job that kills creativity. Don’t write because you think it will make you important. Don’t write out of your own wounds, I do not want to sip from the cup of your bad mental health. Keep your day job especially if it will keep you connected to real people. Relax; every fight, confrontation, speeding ticket or tooth that gets pulled, gives you material.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne