NARRATOR: Becky Shrimpton
Marilyn: Salma Dharsee
Stephanie: Mahtab Sabet
Zoe: Kate Varadi
Waiter: Allan Brunet
Dave: Merlin Simard
Ben: Scott Beaudin
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
Opposites is the story of a tough-as-nails careerwoman finding something she was missing in a laid back coffee shop barista that’s nearly half her age and has its hijinx when all their kooky, quirky friends get involved. Opposites is about love being blind, and brings back the lightheartedness and fun in surviving a set of complex and ironic misunderstandings. It challenges our expectations and presumptions of modern romance.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Romantic Comedy, Comedy
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Farcical comedies that use lust, wordplay and mistaken identity as a formula for fun haven’t been toyed with at great length all century, and this film explores this untapped well of comedy for all it’s worth. The humour is both high and low brow, with slapstick that’s self aware and wit that’s in on its own jokes. It had poor taste, rich taste, depth in substance and height in style. It’s about social situations over places, so it’s budget friendly for producers. It’s as much about performance as it hinges on plot, so it has director appeal.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Kareem: Dumb and Dumber
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
3-4 screenplays between us combined and various other works.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Favourite song: Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The story outline was the greatest obstacle because it’s an intentional maze of twists that further supports the other elements of the screenplay. There was a blurred line between clever and convoluted in putting the plot together.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Akil: Video Editing
Kareem: Song Writing
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson
Camera Operator: Mary Cox