Genre: Comedy, Romance
Logline: A young Indian male’s shaky self-confidence with women leads him to enlist an immature but fast talking co-worker as a life coach and friend who ultimately helps him break free from a manipulative girlfriend who threatens their friendship.
NARRATION: Julie C. Sheppard
Sandy – Peter Nelson
Harry – Trevor Marlatt
911 Operator – Katelyn Vanier
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
It’s about two young men finding what each had been lacking: a genuine and amusing friendship that arises unexpectedly from the throes of a manipulative romantic relationship, shyness, selfishness, self-pity and an inkling of insecurity.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s funny, relatable and inexpensive to make. Well, I’m not sure of the last reason. I want to believe the first two. The humor comes from the relatable part if I may make this answer even more complicated. We’ve all seen a friend get involved with someone who isn’t the best partner for him or her. Some of us react maturely. Some of us react as the characters in this script.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart by Wilco
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
A debilitating lack of self-confidence that I was writing something funny and good. Perhaps that a natural reaction when one isn’t educated or trained to write a screenplay or when one’s circle of friends and family aren’t tagged with “aspirational” before their title.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Lawyering. Is that a word? Sounds like something someone would say when lying about being a lawyer. My passion lies in representing minorities and hard-working people of Chicago who don’t have access or believe they don’t have access to quality and compassionate legal representation. In addition, my beautiful family including my wife, 8 month old boy and parents. A close third to all of this is devouring the NBA and a clear first when the Bulls are good.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
There’s an actual relationship which makes all the difference. The human touch of receiving a personalized email and replies to questions erases the distance inherent in electronic/social media communication and geographic distance.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I saw the feedback others had received and viewed some of the readings. It’s easy to conclude that this isn’t a money grab. There’s a genuine interest in your work and performing it quite well in terms of the reading.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson
Camera Operator: Mary Cox