Directed by Lalo Alcarez
Super Vaccine Vato is the new Lalo Alcaraz/Pocho Villa Productions public health hero. Stay tooned for new episodes of SVV as he takes on public health emergencies for Covidlatino.org and the ASU School of Transborder Studies.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
News & Reviews
- “Vaccine Promoters Struggle to Get People Boosted in California’s Fields”California Healthline/Kaiser Health Newshttps://californiahealthline.org/news/article/vaccine-promoters-struggle-to-get-people-boosted-in-californias-fields/
- “Lalo Alcaraz, the Artist Fighting COVID Misinformation, One Cartoon at a Time”BELatina Dailyhttps://belatina.com/lalo-alcaraz-covid-misinformation/
- “Political cartoonist uses storytelling to help dispel COVID misinformation in Latino community”ABC 7 Newshttps://abc7news.com/lalo-alcaraz-cartoonist-latino-community-cartoons-coronavirus-vaccine/11363149/
- “Cartoonist fights misinformation”Scripps National News Servicehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_d7Co2sqc
- “Challenging The Status Quo: Combining the Arts and Social/Health Sciences to Develop Culturally Tailored Covid-19 Info for Latinx – Dr. Gilberto Lopez”Frances McCelland Institute – Children, Youth & Familieshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRiHfVpxgT4
- “Fighting Covid with Art – Episode 8″Issues in Science and Technologyhttps://issues.org/episode-8-fighting-covid-art-alcaraz-sonke/
Director Biography – Lalo Alcaraz
Lalo was the Cultural Consultant on Pixar’s COCO and is a nationally recognized Chicano cartoonist and a 2020 and 2021 Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Editorial Cartooning. He created La Cucaracha, the first nationally syndicated daily Latino themed cartoon strip in 2002. La Cucaracha has run continuously since 2002 across the United States. Lalo has also served as a writer on the animated Fox TV’s series, Bordertown, and presently serves as a writer and producer for the animated series The Casagrandes on Nickelodeon. Lalo is the principal artist for the covidlatino.org project. He is the CEO and Lead Creative for his production shingle, Pocho Villa Productions, LLC (“PVP”), Executive Producers of this project.
I was recruited by the Arizona State University School of Transborder Studies to serve as their Artist in Residence for 2021-22. I am collaborating with ASU Professor Gilberto Lopez and his covidlatino.org project to bring my comic strip/cartoon characters to life via animation in the fight to combat vaccine hesitancy in the Latino community. Covidlatino.org collaborates with the team at Frontiers Animation for all animated stories. The Super Vaccine Vato character is a spin off of my Super Vato character and many of the characters in this series (Taco Cart Guy) are from my nationally syndicated La Cucaracha comic strip. This Pilot is the first of 7 short episodes covering issues ranging from vaccine hesitancy to Covid’s impact on mental health. The team at Frontiers Animation worked flawlessly with our Pocho Villa Productions team to make this and many other Latino Covid themed content for Arizona State University and the California Department of Public Health.